Sober since April 6, 2006

That's
days

Thursday, July 06, 2006

brain overloaded ... beep beep beep ...

Today, I went to my first Aikido class with my boyfriend. It's very different from the Taekwondo and Muay Thai that I've done before (Taekwondo: 14 years, Muay Thai: about 1 year). Aikido is very gentle with very few striking techniques, while Taekwondo and Muay Thai are polar opposite -- very rough and made entirely of striking techniques.

The Aikido instructors at this school are very good and very patient. I'm a slow learner AND I have alot of habits from my previous training that don't fit in well with Aikido, so I need to re-train my brain. Thank God for their patience!

I learned many things that I will most likely forget overnight. But it was so much fun to learn something new -- and to have the chance to "start over". I haven't worn a white belt since 1993. (A white belt is worn by new students).

Starting over is tough, especially when you have tons of old habits to break (like I do). But I'm so happy to have this opportunity.


Today, I'm grateful for:

  • being 91 days sober
  • ibuprofen. Aikido class made me sore!
  • my sweet boyfriend, who let me throw him around in Aikido class :P
  • my family. I'm so fortunate to have such a loving family.
  • my adorable puppy, who was so happy to see me today that he literally hopped up and down like a bunny. I've never seen him do that before ...
  • the awesome people who stop by and read my blog
  • God, who kept me alive and in one piece today.

2 comments:

Tab said...

Sounds like you are doing good :)
I think my Aunt got her Black belt when she was in her fifties...I will try for something like that , then.
heheeh..good for you for trying new stuff and sharing here..!

lash505 said...

Awesome on the 90 days. That was the hardest for me. You doing great keeping busy. It helps to stay out of the head...