Sober since April 6, 2006

That's
days

Monday, August 21, 2006

Life without "Me, Myself, and I"

Selfishness and self-centeredness is a huge problem for alcoholics.

The thought came to me the other day: What would life be like if all first-person pronouns were removed from the English vocabulary? The words "I", "me", "my", "mine", and "myself" gone forever -- and along with them, the concept of personal individuality.

The concept of selfishness would be gone. Because our lives would revolve around others, our actions would be geared toward accomplishing "the greater good". The entire world would be a single-minded, compassionate community.

Then alcoholism wouldn't be a problem. Nobody would do anything that hurt themselves or others. All of our actions would be performed to favor others. There would be no "self".

It takes alot of imagination to consider the scenario. Probably more imagination than what I have.

But ...

God didn't make us that way. Each of us has a "self".

As much as I wish my "self" would disappear, it never will. Coming to peace with "self" is the only answer. It seems impossible. I feel like I am my own nemesis.


Today, I'm especially grateful for ...

  • being 137 days sober
  • the nice people who stop by to read my blog
  • my nice warm bed
  • my awesome family, dog, & boyfriend
  • a good dental visit (no cavities! yay!)
  • the beautiful weather
  • my car, and safe driving
  • God, who keeps me on nervous edge just enough to feel heathily uncomfortable (therefore, still seeking/trying)

7 comments:

lash505 said...

I have to keep checking that self attitude.

Anonymous said...

We would be ants :-P See ya Gods Kid

Trudging said...

Yep, let me know if you ever win that battle with self because I have not.

Anonymous said...

"I feel like I am my own nemesis." almost invariably, we all are.

SMF

Gooey Munster said...

Congrats on 138 days (it is Tues however on my part). You have a very interactive blog and I really enjoy searching thru it.

A wonderful gratitude list. Thank you for sharing. Looking forward :)

Tennessee Santa said...

Well put. I found that if you take the S out of self you can be an Elf.

tkdjunkie said...

I wanna be an elf when I grow up :)