Sober since April 6, 2006

That's
days

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Whaddya know?

Just got back from an AA meeting. The topic was ... (drumroll please) ... Acceptance. That elusive yet necessary THING that I need.

It's easy to say I "accept" a situation. Sure -- I accept everything. I'm just pissed off about the things I don't like. But that's the problem!

True acceptance requires growing into a spiritual state from which to view the world. When some old resentment creeps in and upsets me, that's an indication that I'm not in a healthy spiritual state. If I am in a healthy spiritual state when a resentment creeps in, I would feel peace concerning that resentment, rather than sadness or anger. It wouldn't bother me. I could smile, feel grateful, and move on with my day. So acceptance requires spiritual health.

The Bible has a list of things called the "Fruit of the Spirit". Basically, it means that if your life is producing these things right now, then you are living in a healthy spiritual state:

  • Love
  • Joy
  • Peace
  • Patience
  • Kindness
  • Goodness
  • Faithfulness
  • Gentleness
  • Self-Control

I think it's a good guide to help me approximate my spiritual health. Lately, my life has NOT been producing those attributes. So I need to step back and change my focus to a more spiritual direction. I think that this mysterious element of "Acceptance" (and ultimately, peace and happiness) depends on it.

No comments: