Sober since April 6, 2006

That's
days

Saturday, September 29, 2007

of colds and biohazard suits

I'm so sick this weekend, I need one of these hats:



And I have a resentment.

I caught some sort of cold/flu/plague thing from a coworker. Many people consider it rude to come to work when you're sick. But not where I work!

Because our cheap company does not provide adequate sick time, sick employees are always crawling into work sneezing and coughing all over the place. It's not an office -- it's a germ factory.

This pisses me off.

Sure, my coworker could have taken a sick day. But she would have to work ten 40-hour weeks to earn another sick day. 400 hours for one 8-hour sick day! What a ridiculous policy! I can't fault her for coming to work sick.

All of the employees are reluctant to use their sick time. They want to save it for a real emergency (such as hospitalization).

In my hiney whiney crybaby little opinion, companies providing lousy/nonexistent sick time policies should at least provide the following:


(1) Spray cans of disinfectant:


(2) Hand sanitizer:
(3) SARS masks:

(4) Biohazard suits:

Okay, so the biohazard suit may be a bit overboard.

At least the SARS masks are moderately fashionable. The style would catch on in no time. I guess I could start a fashion trend at work and start wearing one myself.

Overall, I'm just feeling disappointed. I missed out on alot of special things this weekend, and I'm frustrated.

My homegroup had a special "eating meeting" and speaker, I really wanted to go. My boyfriend moved away today, and I didn't even get to say goodbye. I had to use half a sick day on Friday -- it will take 5 weeks to earn it back.

Geez I feel like throwing a tantrum. It sucks to be sick. It sucks even more when it stops me from doing what I want to do.

2 comments:

Namenlosen Trinker said...

Had to laugh at your sad but appropriate comments regarding sick time. My wife is a nurse at a children's hospital and they're the worst I've ever heard of. Everyone goes to work sick. You'd think at a hospital, at least, it would be different. But, no, it's not, not at all.

Anonymous said...

OMG, this is SO funny. Unless you've worked in a similar situation, people have no idea. Most workplaces (including hospitals) have an attitude of, "How dare you take sick time?!" I also identify w/your other feelings on your blog. I'm in Al-Anon (not AA). But my counselor said, had I ever begun to drink, I'd have been a "classic" alcoholic.