Ya know what? Cars and fire hydrants don't get along too well.
One slashed a lovely yellow-paint-coated gash along the entire length of the passenger side of my car, ripping the doors crooked, and leaving the rear tire mangled. Well done! (Boy, I'm a first class dumbass!)
It's pretty funny ... I've never been in a wreck before, even back when I was drinking. I've always prided myself in having a perfect driving record. But now that I'm a week shy of one year sober, I wreck my new car ... which I've only had for two weeks.
But I'm glad that
- nobody got hurt
- the fire hydrant wasn't damaged
- no other cars were involved
- I have insurance to cover the damage to my car
- my dad helped me change the tire so we could get the car home
- I still have my OLD car, so I don't need to get a rental
- the weather was nice, so I didn't get rained on or snowed on
- it wasn't dark yet, so I could inspect everything in the sunlight
- this happened at the perfect time of day to get to a meeting right after, so I could get out of my head and be with other people who had worse days than mine
- my sponsor & another AA friend met up with me after the meeting and shared some of their experiences banging up cars ... I didn't feel quite so stupid after hearing some of their stories
- I didn't drink, and I didn't want to
- I didn't cry, though I kinda wanted to
- God's probably sitting there laughing at me, but that's okay ... I can laugh at me too.